Home Baseball Aaron Judge talks Yankees 2026 offseason moves

Aaron Judge talks Yankees 2026 offseason moves

by

TAMPA, Fla. – If the early portion of the Yankees’ offseason felt like it moved at a snail’s pace, Aaron Judge was right there with you.

As months passed and other teams in the American League East created headlines with big-ticket additions, Judge said he voiced his impatience with management, waiting for a headline-grabbing move in the Bronx.

“Early on, it was pretty tough to watch,” Judge said. “I’m like, ‘Man, we’re the New York Yankees. Let’s go out there and get the right people, the right pieces to go out there and finish this thing off.’”

That was among the moves Judge lobbied for; he also pointed to the returns of Trent Grisham and first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, saying he now believes the roster is set up nicely coming off last year’s 94-win showing.

“We were kind of sitting there for a while making smaller moves. It was tough there in the beginning,” he said. “Once we solidified getting Bellinger back, we’ve got Trent being our center fielder for another year, then we got a guy like Goldy back. … I think we’re in a good spot.”

While the phrase “run it back” can carry a negative connotation, Judge said he welcomes another shot at the AL East title with a largely familiar crew.

“I love it,” Judge said. “People might have their opinions on it because we didn’t win it all last year and we fell short in the Division Series, but we get a chance to bring a lot of those guys back – they’re impact players. … I like our chances.”

“I’ve never had a chance to represent the USA,” Judge said. “Getting a chance to wear that across my chest is going to be pretty powerful.”

He also believes he has put any lingering concerns about his throwing elbow in the rear-view mirror. Judge plans to play right field throughout the WBC after being limited late last season by a right flexor strain sustained in July.

Judge has thrown to bases multiple times already this spring and said his elbow is feeling “great.”

“That was the toughest thing for me last year,” he said. “The pitcher’s working his butt off and the guys around me are working their butts off, then the ball is hit to me and I had no shot.”

There’s a strong case that Judge is coming off his finest all-around offensive season. He posted a .331/.457/.688 slash line, leading the Majors in all three categories. In 152 games, he belted 53 homers and collected 114 RBIs, capturing his third AL MVP Award.

“It’s been really fun to not only witness the great things he’s done on the field,” manager Aaron Boone said, “but to witness him grow as a player, man, leader, captain and father. He’s just really revered by everyone that walks through that room. That’s very real.”

While Judge is proud of having been crowned the Majors’ tallest-ever batting champion, he said Monday — as he has on numerous past occasions — that he would trade the accolades for a parade through the Canyon of Heroes.

“We’ll never be satisfied until we go out there and finish it,” Judge said. “No matter the awards – MVPs, All-Stars – that stuff doesn’t matter. What matters is putting New York back on top and putting this organization back where it belongs, which is being the best organization in the game.

“I’ve got a job to do. I don’t get paid to just play this game. I get paid to win here.”

Source link

You may also like

Leave a Comment