Home Cricket “I am still not happy…”

“I am still not happy…”

by

Former India batting coach Sanjay Bangar shared his thoughts on Tilak Varma’s batting technique amid his struggles during the T20 World Cup 2026. Bangar stated that the youngster has improved since then but agreed that in T20 cricket, a slightly open stance helps batters play straighter and more freely.

Tilak has not looked at his best during the T20 World Cup. The left-handed batter is fourth among India’s top run-scorers but has struggled to find his usual rhythm. He scored 106 runs across four innings at an average of 26.50 and a strike rate of 120.45, with a best score of 31 off 31 balls against the Netherlands.

It’s Desirable to Have a Slightly Open Stance – Sanjay Bangar on Tilak Varma’s Struggles

During a discussion on ESPNcricinfo, Sanjay Bangar said that Tilak Varma is struggling due to his batting stance. Bangar recalled his time with Royal Challengers Bengaluru, when the franchise was scouting left-handers and reviewing footage of Anuj Rawat, Sai Sudharsan, and Tilak.

Your daily dose of cricket!

next

“It takes my mind back to the talent scouting. At that point of time, I was with RCB and we were going through the footage of plenty of left-handers. We were looking at Anuj Rawat, Sai Sudharsan and Tilak. And, that point, I felt that he is far too side-on. He’s gotten better at handling that. But there is merit in that suggestion,” Bangar said.

“T20 is a game where it’s desirable to have a slightly open stance, which gives you the fundamental to even flat-bat straight down the ground,” he went on to add.

Don’t Think Tilak Varma’s Form Is a Worry – Sanjay Bangar

The former India cricketer said that it is too early to be concerned about Tilak Varma’s form and that the situation should improve once Abhishek Sharma finds form. He said that Varma has often had to walk in very early in the innings, sometimes within the first over.

“I don’t think [Varma’s form is a worry], because if he has to come and bat when India is 60-1… He’s always walked into bat in this tournament in the first over. I am still not happy to come to that conclusion,” Bangar stated.

Abhishek Sharma has had a tough run at the T20 World Cup 2026. The left-handed batter was dismissed for a duck in all three innings he has played. Abhishek missed the match against Namibia due to a stomach bug, and Sanju Samson opened the innings in his absence.

Break This Pattern of Losing a Wicket in the First Over – Sanjay Bangar

Sanjay Bangar said that India should make a tactical change in the batting order to deal with early wickets. The 53-year-old said that the team management should consider promoting skipper Suryakumar Yadav to No. 3 and pushing Tilak Varma down to No. 4.

“From a tactical point of view and to break this pattern [of losing a wicket in the first over], you have to be a little bit proactive. That is the only logical conclusion that I arrived at.”

The Men in Blue will play their next match against South Africa at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad on Sunday, February 22. They will then face Zimbabwe and the West Indies in the Super 8 stage.

Also read: Shivam Dube gets arrogant, denies India’s spin weakness despite mounting evidence

Source link

You may also like

Leave a Comment