Home Football Crystal Palace’s Oliver Glasner names three failings: ‘I’m just not good enough’

Crystal Palace’s Oliver Glasner names three failings: ‘I’m just not good enough’

by

Oliver Glasner appears uncertain if he will see out the season as Crystal Palace manager, testily declaring himself “not good enough” to arrest their slump in form.

Glasner is already due to leave the club in the summer but is under extreme pressure after overseeing a run of just one win in 15 games across all competitions.

That run includes an FA Cup defeat to sixth-tier Macclesfield, the same tournament Glasner won in triumphant scenes last year at Wembley, and calls for his departure from travelling fans after the midweek draw at Zrinjski Mostar in the Europa Conference League.

The Austrian coach made no attempt to shore up his position ahead of Sunday’s clash with bottom club Wolves, telling a press conference: “Let’s see what the future brings. You never know.

“I always said and this wasn’t the first press conference where I could just repeat myself. As I said, eventually you always depend on your players, and they will get all the support like always, and then we will see.”

Glasner also appeared to offer a critique of his own ability to rally his team before following with a more generous appraisal of his prior record at Selhurst Park.

“I’m always realistic and we’re not in the best moment right now. I understand and I take responsibility for everything because I’m responsible for the whole team,” he said.

“Right now, I’m just not good enough to replace the players we sold. I’m just not good enough to integrate the new players in a way to play the same way like we did, and I’m not good enough that we can cope with the schedule we had.

– Top 50 USMNT players of 2026, ranked by club form: USMNT Player Performance Index returns
Crystal Palace Conference League hopes in balance after draw
The Premier League’s best and worst players at different skills

“On the other side, I was good enough to play the best season ever, win two trophies [FA Cup and Community Shield] and also to look back at 32 points after 26 games.”

Defending the current position, he added: “I look back because I like to look back sometimes — Crystal Palace has been better twice. Once was our season last year and once in 2021.

“It looks like even now when everybody is completely angry, disappointed, frustrated, we are playing a better Premier League season than eight of the last 10 seasons Crystal Palace has played. We play European football and that is the reality.”

Shortly after Glasner completed his press conference, Palace were slapped with a £50,000 fine for a banner displayed by supporters in their home draw against Nottingham Forest in August.

The banner depicted Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis with a gun to the head of the club’s midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White, amid reports of a possible move to Tottenham.

At a hearing of the Football Association’s regulatory commission Palace’s defence contested that it was not possible to determine that the meaning was “offensive, abusive, insulting and/or provocative” and also that sufficient due diligence had been carried out at the ground. The commission disagreed following testimony from FA safety and security advisor Steve Graham and imposed the penalty, plus its own costs.

Source link

You may also like

Leave a Comment